7.23.2008

Update from the Sri Lanka Project



I have been learning the difficulties in coordinating a project with individuals from different cultural background. It is so easy to have serious miscommunications among us because each culture have different ways in which things are handled for certain situation. Since I have been raised in Japan where rules and regulations are seriously respected, I seem to be appeared as “rigid person” who are not open-minded to other culture. Moreover, understanding the different mentality about the international collaboration has been also challenging for me. We wanted to purely collaborate to create the place where “elders can aging in community.” We expected that we constantly discuss and try to figure out the ways in which we can work together to make this project happen. However, we were told many times that funding should come from Japan, and generating money to complete this project is a part of the jobs that Japanese team members should do. When I was told by other team members, I was a bit shocked to learn this situation. I almost wonder “do people from other parts of the world view me as a Japanese people who can bring money to the project?”

While I was discussing with other Japanese team members about the future aspect of this project, some shared their feeling that they were a bit discouraged. We are the group of individuals who would were interested in sharing our knowledge together to make some positive changes happen in the world, however, we sometimes felt that people were more interested in how much money we can bring than what knowledge and skills we can contribute to this project. Through this process in an unfamiliar environment, I spent few days without much sleep. Then, I finally found my answer that “we should be distracted by the politics around this project. We should focus on the elders who are deserved to have a better living environment.” I embarrassingly realized that I was also part of this power game and dealing with my ego and control problems in this process… When I shared by honest opinion with other team members from Japan, they mentioned that they would fully support my idea. I am sure that this is just a little problem compare to what future will bring to complete this whole project, but I am glad that I was able to find my answer and passion from the stories that I learned from the individuals from the culture change movement over years.

I learn that it is hard to keep our mind pure and clear when we deal with a project that attached to “status and money.” To keep our mind clear, we should always focus on the fundamental idea of “improving the life of elders.” It is easy to say but it can be hard thing to do to maintain as a group mission.

I will update the info. from the meeting with HelpAge Sri Lanka next!

No comments: